Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pre and Post workout refuel..

    I ran out of Almond milk a few days back but I still was looking for the creaminess in my smoothies. As I was rummaging through the fridge for another option, I came across the cottage cheese and thought that it could either be awesome or gross. Turns out it was amazing and even adds a bit more protein for my post workout/midmorning meal.. But lets talk about first breakfast.


    Each and every morning I wake up at 4:55am, stumble to the kitchen to make coffee, take my vitamins and try to figure out what the heck to have for breakfast. It has to be something fast, clean, and  fill me up just right (like Goldie locks- just full enough to be satisfied/fueled for my workout, but not too full that I want to throw it all up)

Source
 before I hit the treadmill for my warm up at 6. Usually it’s greek yogurt, fruit, and peanut butter or a protein pancake or my current favorite Overnight Oats. Overnight oats give me more time to chill with my morning coffee and husband while fueling me “just right” While it gets me through my workout I’m usually pretty hungry towards the end and ready to make a smoothie. So usually by 8:30am I’ve “eaten” twice. Which means by 10:30-11 am I’m hungry for lunch or a snack (which I’ve been trying to avoid- and try to hold off at least until 11-11:30 for lunch) I think I was confusing that snacky feeling with dehydration. Silly Coco.. I always forget to drink enough water.. Especially when there is coffee around, oops! So along with making my post workout smoothie double as my mid-morning snack I’ve been chugging water like it is my job, and it has been helping!

Now onto my post workout smoothie experiments!

Wednesday morning:
Cheese Cake Shake
1 cup water
1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese
2 tbsp rolled oats
1 tbsp flax seed oil
4 strawberries
1 scoop EAS chocolate whey protein powder
     (This shake is packed with 348 calories, and 31g of protein) So it was really filling.. I added the oats for more staying power and because I skipped out on them pre-workout.

This morning:

Strawberry-n-Cream Smoothie 
1 cup water
1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese
1 tbsp flax seed oil
6 strawberries
1 scoop Isopure zero carb Strawberry protein powder
   (This smoothie has 288 calories and 32g of protein) I really liked this a lot, and considering James doesn’t want me to buy any more protein until this (Isopure) is all gone- I need to continue to find new smoothies that will make me happy :)
…..Reason being.. that if I buy another protein this stuff is going to get shoved to the back of the cabinet, never to be used again.. plus it really isn’t that bad.. I’m just a brat and like EAS chocolate whey better!

What are your pre and post workout meals looking like these days?



No comments:

Post a Comment