Monday, February 11, 2013

Product Review: “Sweet Heat” Cookbook

Hey guys- coming to you today with a little review! A little over 2 months ago I received a copy of Sweet Heat: Cooking with Jenkins Jellies Hell Fire Pepper Jelly
By Hillary Danner and Maria Newman  
You may remember the first Review I did for them way back in August. (Go check it out for all the highlights! or visit http://jenkinsjellies.com for more info about the jellies themselves) I was a jelly hater turned lover  after trying their products- I had no idea that jelly could be a Spicy delicious condiment perfect for toping everything from tofu, eggs, veggies and grilled cheese!
So when I was asked if I wanted to try out and review the new cookbook- I was more than happy to oblige. 

I LOVE getting packages in the mail.. Its one of those small things in life that I will never tire of (You can keep the bills though) Upon cracking the binding of the book I came across a cute little message from the authors
(Well thanks ladies.. I think I will have Happy Hell Fire!) 
Turn a few more pages and you get a background of just who these wonderful ladies are and how the company got started- with a couple of super cute pictures to go along with the story. 

Then it’s time for the good stuff- the food! Appetizers, Sauces & Dips, Sides & Salads, Main Dishes, Desserts & Treats, Drinks, and More Sweet Heat Jellies (which features the other flavors of jellies in a handful or recipes) There is a little something for everyone- and in case you didn’t think some of the recipe titles intrigued you- there are amazing full color pictures with EACH recipe! I may have drooled on my book a bit.. Sorry girls :)
I marked all of the recipes that I wanted to try right away- Yes I want to try all of them.. but just like any other cookbook I’ve ever owned (Which believe me has been a lot!) I like to find the ones that not only stand out- but have the potential to “Spice” up ingredients that I use and eat all the time. 

But I had a little problem..
I had forgotten to purchase the jelly ahead of time- which meant I had to wait (almost two weeks mind you, the torture!) for a jar to come in since it is not yet sold in my state. (More on this later)

Finally, the jelly arrived and I decided on Roasted Brussels Sprouts straight away

Oh my! James and eat out fair share of brussels sprouts but this is by far one of my favorite ways to enjoy them. The combo of sweet and a little sticky with the spicy kick, over the slightly browned edges with make your mouth sing. (lucky for you this isn’t a Vlog)

Next up: Baked Sweet (Heat) Potatoes
For this recipe, the pepper jelly is mixed right in with the sour cream as the topping for your sweet potato with a few chopped nuts for some crunch. I thought this was a nice twist on an old favorite. You know.. Kind of like those sweet potato casseroles that you have during the holidays with the nuts and caramelized sweetness.. but with some sassafras! 

Some of my other favorites
-Creamy Dreamy Dip
The most addicting dip for veggies, crackers, or fingers you’ll ever taste.. Seriously- you can’t stop until it’s gone.. 
- Coleslaw for the Soul 
-Twice Baked Stuffed Potatoes
-White Hot Bianca Pizza 
-Pepper Jelly S'mores

There is a good amount of variety in the book. It’s contents highlight the quality and absolute versatility of the product- without over complicated or time consuming application. Most of the recipes are simple, quick and easy to prepare with minimal ingredients- which to me means your more likely to come back to use these recipes again and again. 

Also, throughout the book there are these fun little nuggets of info in “Did you know” boxes like this one “Chili peppers are addicting! Endorphins, our body’s natural painkillers, are released to combat the capsaicin-induced heat factor. This creates a feeling of well-being… and then we want more!”
And
“Peppers are part of the fruit family and not vegetable. They’re low in calories and packed with vitamin A to keep your eyes nice and healthy!” 

So, if your looking to add a little spice to your life.. Go Purchase your copy of Sweet Heat today! 
AND
_____________________________________________________________________________
There is just one thing that I didn’t love- Shipping cost of the Jellies themselves. The price of the Jellies are reasonable for the quality and contents, (All natural, mostly organic, completely delicious) however the shipping costs were astronomical.. I’m talking $12 for one jar to be shipped to my home- making the cost of the jellies $24 a jar. I’m not sure if this is the universal shipping cost or just because I live on the other side of the country? But it is a bummer! So here’s to crossed fingers and toes that this stuff becomes available in stores here in RI- Are you reading this WHOLEFOODS?! 
But seriously.. go grab some anyway- and a copy of the book...they really are worth it- I promise 

Thank You to Jenkins Jellies and the folks over at Crier Communications! 

*Disclaimer: Jenkins Jellies Provided me a copy of Sweet Heat, Cooking with Jenkins Jellies Hell Fire Pepper Jelly for free to sample and review. I was under no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions are my own*

No comments:

Post a Comment